And then ... the World Was Flat

Not too long ago, a friend invited me to check out a book that's been on the market for a couple of years. It's called The World is Flat. I first heard about this book at work ... some random comments from bosses, managers, and other co-workers had circulated around the office for a while. At the time I didn't read it.

However, when my friend suggested it, I picked it up and started checking it out. So far I've read about 175 pages of the book. He's laid out a very convincing argument about how the world is shrinking, becoming more integrated across countries, and shifting away from American leadership.

To be fair, I haven't read the whole thing, but I also don't plan on it now. Since I started reading it, every time I pick it up I get depressed, worried, stressed, and irritated. It's almost as if the book has a spirit of depression enveloping it. I had been reading it, and then I spoke with Chris about how I was feeling, and I decided enough was enough. No matter how good it is, I'm not going to put myself through this torture just because he is a brilliant author.

I do plan on browsing through it to find out how he suggests coping with the flattening of the world, but I don't intend on spending one single minute longer being sucked into his world of hopelessness and his reckless agreement with, and condoning of, corporate profit mongering. I've had it with many of those sentiments. They suck! Even if you agree with the 'thinning of the herd' mentality, I hope the herd runs you over for your blatant disregard and disrespect for the value of a human.


What do you think of the book?
Most of all ... what am I missing here?

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Followers

Search This Blog